Bloom Township is noted for its great deposits of iron ore, coal and fire-clay. The township covers a little less than 49 square miles. The settlement of this township was at an early day, but the date of arrival of the first pioneer was not obtainable. There were enough, however, to organize a township August, 1812. Among those who were there from 1805 to 1810 were: Samuel Baker, Samuel Bennett, Benjamin Bennett, Jr., Joshua Gilman, John Bennett, Mr. Edgar, Samuel Malone and others. Some old settlers who's lives date back to early childhood in Bloom Township were: John Bennett, Madison Cole, John Phillips, Washington Richey, Dr. William Watts, John Loomis, J.W. Crawford and Branson Miles.
Brush Creek Township
The County map shows this township to have the most territory, but the tax duplicate gives Nile Township the largest number of acres assessed at 48,140, while Brush Creek Township contains only 47,847 acres. It is of irregular form, its western border being about eighteen miles from north to south, while its greatest width is less than nine miles.
Clay Township lies on the east bank of the Scioto River and its southern boundary is Portsmouth and the Ohio River. It is bounded on the north by Jefferson and Valley Townships, on the east by Harrison and Porter Townships. It has an irregular boundary line with an area of about 17,000 acres.
Green Township is the southeastern Township of the County and is noted for being what is known as the French Grant, its southern boundary being Lawrence County and the Ohio River, and the latter is also its western boundary. Porter Township is on the north and Vernon township and Lawrence County bound it on the east. It has an area of 22,236 acres.
The Union Furnace was erected in 1826 by James Rogers, John Sparks, John Means and Valentine Fear. It went into blast in 1827 and continued for several years.
Jefferson Township was undoubtedly one of the original townships or was a township before 1810. Four of the original townships named and known in 1810 are not now on the map - Seal, Upper, Lick and Franklin. The loss of the county commissioners records from 1803 to 1811 inclusive prevents the dates being given of the organization of the township, but if it is one of the original divisions it was organized May, 1803 and at all events before 1810.
Morgan Township was organized June 7, 1825 and was formerly part of Seal Township and then of Union. It lies on the Scioto River; is rather of an oblong shape, with a surface hilly, rough and broken.
Morgan Township was first settled about 1804, although a portion of the valley bottoms undoubtedly found tenants a year or two earlier. Hezekiah Merritt settled on the east side as early as 1796, just above Lucasville, but he was a pioneer and claims to have raised the first crop of corn in the county.
Nile Township is the largest in the County. The Township is the extreme southwest of the County and has an Ohio River frontage of nearly 15 miles.
The township is bounded on the north by Brush Creek and Union townships; on the east by Washington township and the Ohio River; south by the Ohio River and west by Adams County. It has a land area of 48,140 acres.
Porter Township has the honor of being the first settled in Scioto County, claiming Sam'l Marshall, Jno. Lindsay, Isaac Bonser, Uriah Barber as its first settlers.
Porter Township has an Ohio River front of fully ten miles and also has the valley of the Little Scioto within its borders for a distance of five miles.
Rush Township was the last of the municipal divisions of the county organized and was taken wholly from Union Township, June 3, 1867. It lies on the Scioto River, a distance of some seven miles north and south and the largest and best portion of its agricultural area is in the valley. In length the township, north and south, will average about seven miles. Rush township contains approximately 14,500 acres.
Union Township was one of the original townships and took in a part of Washington, which was made from Nile and Union, all of Rush and Morgan, and probably all of Brush Creek except what belonged to Nile. It has now been curtailed of its dimensions to a considerable extent, and from being one of the largest in the county at its organization in 1803, it is now one of middle size, eight townships being larger and six smaller, not counting Portsmouth.
While the territory of Valley Township was as early settled permanently as any in the county, Valley Township did not come into existence until 1860, which was then too late for the United States census of that year. It was first a portion of Seal Township. A few years after, or in 1814, Seal Township elected its last Assessor and in 1815 that on the west side of the river was given to Union Township and the east side to Jefferson. This remained the territory of Jefferson until June 4, 1860.
Vernon Township lies in the southeastern part of the county and was formerly part of Upper and Franklin Townships. It was organized in 1818 and is bounded on the north by Bloom Township, on teh east by Bloom and Lawrence County, on the south by Lawrence County and Greene Township and on the west by Greene and Porter Townships. It has an area of 22,890 acres.
Washington Township, originally Union Township or a part thereof, is about as old settled as any portion of the county. There is only a few months difference between the settlement of what is now Washington Township and those settlements on and near the Little Scioto and the French Grant. It is a township old in ancient history, for it was once the home of the Mound Builders and later of the earliest white settlers north of the Ohio River. The last hostile indian killed in Scioto County drew his last breath near John Craig's, at deer lick. It was John McDonald or his brother, probably the latter, who did the killing, for he claimed to have built the first cabin ever erected where the waters of the Scioto mingled with that of the "La Belle Riviere".