Bloom Township is noted for its great deposits of iron ore, coal and fire-clay. The township covers a little less than 49 square miles. The settlement of this township was at an early day, but the date of arrival of the first pioneer was not obtainable. There were enough, however, to organize a township August, 1812. Among those who were there from 1805 to 1810 were: Samuel Baker, Samuel Bennett, Benjamin Bennett, Jr., Joshua Gilman, John Bennett, Mr. Edgar, Samuel Malone and others. Some old settlers who's lives date back to early childhood in Bloom Township were: John Bennett, Madison Cole, John Phillips, Washington Richey, Dr. William Watts, John Loomis, J.W. Crawford and Branson Miles.
The Webster Fire-Brick and Coal Company was organized in the fall of 1869, the officers being John Bennett, President; George Edmunds, Secretary; and W.S. Gillilan, Superintendent. They made bricks in all shapes for furnaces, rolling mills, gas-works, lime-kilns, etc., shipping their goods to Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and the Southern States, besides all over the State of Ohio.
Bloom Furnace, located in northwestern portion of section 30, in Bloom Township, was built in 1830 by Christian Benner and two sons, John and Joshua. It was run by different parties until 1874, when it went out of blast. In 1879 J.D. Clare, J.H. Simmons and Oliver Lyons bought the property and immediately started the furnace again.
Scioto Furnace was erected in 1828 by General Wm Kendall, one of the pioneers of Scioto County. It went into blast that year. It changed hands several times, the last company to purchase it being L.C. Robinson & Co.
Read more on the Scioto County Engineer's Page